Bahamas Ghetto Life & Art

On Sunday I got to Nassau... I was ready to get off the ship... They gave us until 4:30pm to make it back to the ship or they were leaving without you...


I hit the streets...I'm not a big fan of the tourist scene so I walked around looking for people I could relate to...


They told us on the ship that it could be dangerous... But I'm no coward... And I will never me afraid of my own people... I'm not rich and struggle is universal...and I know struggle... So I knew I would feel more comfortable in the ghetto than going around shopping.. I can shop in Atlanta, NYC, or LA... Nassau was special.


I ran across some beautiful street art...the graffiti scene is different in the Bahamas.. They use lots of layers and cut out stencils.... Like screen printing on walls








This piece wasn't just "street" art it had a fine art feel... It was my favorite piece I seen.. I had to shoot it.. It moved me


Everyone was asking me about my tattoos... So I guess that was a good intro to meeting the people.. A few of them had heard of me and said "Bailey your a real nigga for an American" I told them "I'm NOT an American and I don't follow their beliefs, I'm just a country ghetto nigga trying to inspire those around me. I was born there and just stuck there for a sec until I get my money right." this kid about 9 or 10 about the age of my son sold me a bag of weed... So I had to look for a place to smoke out...they pointed me to the beach and said "follow the yellow brick road" I walked through some HARD looking areas... Clearly the people were poor and I didn't see a white face or tourist in sight...they said the police don't go over there so it was a perfect place for me


It wasn't good weed.. It was brown but it would do... I never really smoked brown weed before ..I jumped on a wall with a couple of dope boys... Rolled my joint and watched the kids do back flips off the wall into the ocean like they were professional swimmers....I have video and more photos of the people on my camera so I will post them later once I upload them to my computer....


I talked for hours with the people... We talked about the police, hip-hop, America, weed, guns, life, pain, and women... They said i'm safe anytime I wanted to visit and I gave them my cell number


Posted from my iPhone

Location:Nassau